Saturday, February 19, 2011

Run for the Bling of It Race Update #3 - Just a week late...

Last Saturday, I woke up super early and headed out to the Cupid's Chase 5k. Down here in Corpus it was relatively cold. The starting point for this 5k was the Brewster Street Ice House (a bar by the baseball stadium). I expected a pretty big crowd since the Cupid's Chase is a nation wide run done in multiple cities.  My guess is the unexpected cold front kept people at home. When I picked up my number and chip there were many preregistration bags left unclaimed.

I wasn't expecting any miracle times for this race. The past two week had been spent letting my heels get better after finding myself dealing with severe heal pain. I did some research and came up with the possibility I had plantar fasciitis. For you non runners, this basically means that due to how I run and worn out shoes that the tissue on the bottom of my foot had started to have micro tears and then running on the tears irritated it and they became inflamed. Everything I read on it said to rest my feet and get some good padding for my heels. Two weeks of rest and a new pair of shoes later, things seem to be much better.

I ended up running the 5k in 37:40. This is better than my time in the sand at the Surf-n-Turf, but way longer than my practice runs were taking prior to two weeks of rest. I'm back running this week, but am having a really hard time getting my speed back up.  I did come in 2nd in my age group, which was pretty exciting!

The bling was pretty skimpy for this run. They didn't even have shirts because the bad weather delayed them in Dallas. Boo! They said they'd call when they came in, but a week of good weather later there has been no call...




It's a pretty industrial area