Saturday, February 19, 2011

Remembering...

One of the hardest things about growing up is realizing that as I get older, so does everyone else. Sometimes when I see a picture of one of my little brothers, I am shocked at how grown up they look. I will forever think of them as 9 or 10 year old boys, but really they're working their way through high school these days. It's so exciting to see them grow up, but it's also hard to watch my older family members get older.

I was really blessed as a child to have four wonderful grandparents who were all part of my childhood. In the last couple years, I've now lost two of them. My dad's mom passed away a few months after my wedding and my mom's dad passed away the week before last. I wasn't blogging when my grandma passed away, but since I'm blogging now, I wanted to share my grandfather with all of you.



D was born in Fairfield, WA on January 5, 1930 and, surrounded by his loving family, went to be with the Lord February 11, 2011. He is survived by his children and their mother:  (subsequent names removed for privacy reasons)

D married the lovely DE of Spokane on May 18, 1952. Shortly after that, he joined the Navy and served his country during the Korean War.

D began his teaching career in Winthrop. He moved to Rosalia to teach and coach and become the Principal of Rosalia Grade School. In 1965 the adventurous young couple decided to embark upon the journey of a lifetime – D accepted the position of Director of Rabat American Embassy School in Morocco. The family of 6 spent two years in Africa before D accepted Principalship of Campo Verde School in Tia Juana, Venezuela.

In 1970 D brought his family back to Coeur d'Alene and became Vice-Principal at the Mid High School. From there he accepted the position of Athletic Director at the Coeur d'Alene Senior High School. D's lifelong passion for improving the lives of young people was evident in the amount of time and energy he put into improving and growing the Athletic Program and leading and mentoring the lives of all those he worked with. 

D loved boating, woodworking, sports, his Model A and other old rigs, community involvement, and helping others - but most of all he loved being with his grandchildren and family. D positively impacted MANY lives. His generous, selfless, caring personality, encouraging spirit and wonderful sense of humor will be greatly missed. GO VIKINGS!

I will always remember my grandfather with lots of love!

My mom's hand and my grandpa's hand