Monday, October 18, 2010

Savory Pumpkin...Mealoaf with Pumpkin Glaze

So, over the last few weeks there have been many new and delicious meals! I think I may be a professional recipe picker or something like that. I have also been meeting my goal of staying at under $100 a week in groceries and household items! This recipe was a chance taken that turned out like food heaven in my mouth! So, even if you are weirded out by this combo, I would give it a try!

Meatloaf with Pumpkin Glaze

Ingredients
1 slice of whole wheat bread
2 tbsp low-fat milk
2 tbsp minced garlic
3/4 c canned unsweetened pumpkin
1/4 c. fresh parsley (If you forget to buy this, I just use a couple tbsp of dried parsley)
1 egg
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
1 lb ground lean hamburger
1 lb reduced fat sausage
2 tbsp dark brown sugar

Method

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Tear the bread into small pieces and place in a large bowl with the milk. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes, until the bread absorbs the milk.

Add the garlic, 1/2 cup of pumpkin, parsley, egg, oregano, salt, and pepper to taste (I think I used some extra salt), and whisk everything together.

Add the meat, stir with a wooden spoon, then mix thoroughly with your hands. Pat the mixture into a loaf shape and place in a shallow 2 quart foil lined casserole dish.

Whisk remaining 1/4 cup of pumpkin wit the brown sugar and spread on top.

Bake for 1 hour. Let the loaf sit in pan for 10 minutes before slicing.

Then enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

Meatloaf and Broccoli!!! Yum!

If you are interested in more savory pumpkin recipes, my friend Allie over at her blog has a great recipe up. Check it out here.
Just a friendly picture of Mack and his duck