Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How to deal with anxiety relating to Pilot Training - The Spouse's Guide

Any current or past UPT spouse will tell you that though this year is exciting and wonderful it can also be ridiculously stressful. Since my hubby started, we have had our shares of ups and downs. Lately, I've actually been feeling pretty confident about UPT. That apparently should have been a red flag that something had to change...

My hubby has informed me a month out from our Track Select date that he has completely changed his mind on what kind of plane he would like to fly. The current track choices are between T-44's, the C-130 trainer and UH-1's (I think), the helo trainer. This is a far cry from his original thoughts. Since these thoughts my were revealed to me, I had a little bit of a freak out/melt down moment, but have since moved on. This is not the only stressful moment UPT has thrown at us and I'm sure it won't be the last, so I thought I would offer up my thoughts on how I deal with the anxiety that comes with UPT.

#1 I rationally discuss the stress with my husband at a good time!
It's never good to let yourself stew just because you don't want to stress your husband during UPT. You're a couple and couples have to communicate, so as my mom always tells me when I call her freaking out, talk to your husband about it first!

#2 Have someone who doesn't live here that you can call and talk to.
For me, this is my Mom. She always understands, always listens, and when she offers advice, it is great advice. Plus, it's nice to know that what I tell her will never get back to anyone on base (First because she's totally trustworthy and second because she lives 14 hours away and doesn't know anyone else on our base).

#3 Have someone TRUSTWORTHY on base you can talk to.
I have a couple go to ladies on base who I can always confide in. They are wonderful and are going through the same stuff as me.

#4 I am continually reminded of this and have been trying to think of it first more often - PRAY about it!
I'm a Christian and I really believe in the power of prayer and God's ability to guide us. So, right now as I go through a stressful situation, I keep trying to remember Ephesians 3:20-21, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Paul wrote this verse to remind us that even in our really tough moments that God can do more than we ask or imagine. We just need to believe and ask and know that sometimes what we think we need and what we actually need are two different things. Plus, God works in his time, not ours. In my Bible Study,  one of the speakers we watched, Priscilla Shirer talked about this verse and about how God can go beyond our beyond. I just keep trying to remember that.

My last advice is a little superficial, but still beneficial:

#5 Drink a glass or two of this after a long day
Don't be afraid to ask a friend over to have a glass with you!
#6 Bake the awesome cookie/crisp recipe I'm going to put up in my next blog!

Just remember to enjoy all the great things this year has to offer!