Saturday, October 23, 2010

Delicious Fishes!

Okay, I know fishes isn't a real word, but when you say delicious fishes, it kind of rhymes. So, it seems a little more catchy than delicious fish.

This has been a pretty busy week around our house. The flying tempo at our base has been insane, leaving WM rather stressed at the end of every day. Add this to the fact that I had events two evenings this week and pretty full days, that makes for a stressed out household.

Tuesday was awesome with a Bible Study potluck to celebrate the completion of our series. Next week, we start our new study, which is Priscilla Shirer's book, "Speak to Me." I took the oatmeal chocolate crisps. Since my tupperware came home empty, I'd say they were a hit. That night, I attended a wine tasting social at the Officers Spouse's Club. It was really fun. I tried a great Malbec (which I've like ever since a neighbor introduced us to it) and a very smooth Bordeaux. I didn't like any enough to buy the ones they had, but it was a great night with great people.

On Wednesday, my Homeschool Art Class I teach made Greek Amphoras out of clay. One of my bosses does lots of pottery and guest taught. It was really fun and the kids LOVED it!

Thursday, I cleaned house and subbed at the once a month free craft day for kids at my work. I taught them how to make Halloween Witches out of Construction paper. It was a pretty complex project and I'm not sure I would have chosen it, but the kids seemed happy with their witches. That night we had the Student Spouse Club Halloween Social, which was really fun. The costumes were great. My favorites were Flo from the Progressive commercials and the American Gladiators. There were also some cute Halloween foods.

Friday was a mess. It all begins during our long weekend trip to Fredericksburg. We took our dog to a local kennel for the night. He seemed happy. It turned out he had fleas.  I didn't notice the first couple days, so he was in and out of the house. Then he got a flea and tick bath. Then this week he got itchy again. So, he got another bath. Then I read that fleas can get all over your house. Finally, Thursday evening (really the middle of the night) I got itchy and turned on the lights. There were jumping fleas in the bed!!!!!! So, I spent my Friday flea spraying/bombing our house, washing things on HOT HOT HOT water, and flea spraying and flea collaring Mack. We are now flea free. Needless to say, Mack will not EVER EVER EVER being going back to that kennel.

Today we're hanging out and then heading to a local kids production of Treasure Island. Two of my homeschoolers are in it.

If you need a quick and yummy dinner, like we did this week, this fish recipe is fabulous!

Fish and Green Beans with Chile Mayonnaise

Ingredients:
1 tsp Lemon Juice
3 tsp of Chile sauce (like sirachi sauce)
1/3 c. mayonnaise
3 Tilapia Filets
1 c. panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp butter, melted
12 oz young green beens, cooked (I usually just use a bag of frozen green beans and microwave them ahead of time)
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put a sheet of aluminum foil in your baking pan and spray cooking spray on your aluminum foil.

Combine lemon juice, chile sauce, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper to taste. Transfer a small amount to a separate bowl and set aside for later.

Sprinkle fish with slat. Place fish in baking pan. Divide the chile mayonnaise between the three filets so they are coated on their up facing side with chile mayonnaise, then even divide 3/4 c of panko crumbs between the filets, sprinkling the chile mayonnaise covered filets with crumbs. Drizzle filets with the melted butter and bake for 20 minutes.

In a warm skillet, mix green beans and the remaining panko crumbs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium low, until green beans are warmed up and crumbs start to stick.

Serve green bean mixtures and fish with remaining chile mayonnaise.

Nutrition Info per serving:
349 calories, 19 g fat, 56 mg chol, 384 sodium, 18 g carbo, 4 g fiber, 26 g pro