Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tropical Baked Oatmeal

So the other day I mentioned I had been craving a few random ingredients. I changed up a recipe I used to make all the time at a Cafe I worked at and it turned out great. I thought this was a great food to infuse some tropical flavor in those last dark days of winter/early spring!

Enjoy this HEALTHY breakfast that you can reheat and eat all week!

Tropical Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients:
2 c. non fat milk
4 c. water
3 c. oats (maybe a little extra depending on how thick/thin you like your oatmeal)
2 bananas - peeled and sliced into small rounds
5 or 6 oz coconut shavings
1/4 c. dried cranberries
Spices of your choice - I used:
cardamom
ginger
cloves
Sweetener of your choice - I used:
3 tbsp brown sugar
drizzled agave nectar

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use non stick cooking and spray and spray an oven safe 8x8 baking dish.

Bring water and milk to boil in a large pot on the stove (all the oatmeal is going in here, so make sure there's enough space).

When it comes to a boil, add oatmeal and cook like you would normal oatmeal. I added a little more oats because I didn't' want my baked oatmeal to be too liquidy. When the oatmeal is almost done, add spices, sweetener, coconut, and cranberries. Stir until mixed well. Taste to make sure it is seasoned and sweetened to your liking.

Pour half of the oatmeal mix into the 8x8 pan, then make a layer using all the sliced bananas. Cover bananas with other half of the oatmeal mix.

I topped my oatmeal with a little extra coconut and some sliced almonds.

Bake 25-30 minutes until oatmeal doesn't wiggle all over if you jiggle the pyrex from side to side.

Serve warm with a little milk over the top.

Also, feel free to substitute your favorite oatmeal ingredients for the coconut, banana, cranberries, and spices. Just bake it up and it will taste great!