Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Staying In for Chinese

One of the hardest parts of living in my border town is the lack of good Chinese food. I love Chinese food, Thai food, and Vietnamese food. They are all so delicious! This past weekend, I decided to try my hand at a low calorie Orange Beef recipe I found. It was amazing! It actually tasted orangey, not just sweet and syrupy like so many other orange beef or orange chicken I've tried.

Since this was so good, I thought I'd share the recipe. Just in case you're interested in a way cheaper and more convenient way to stay in for Chinese. Also, the couscous stir fry pictured with it is just a random concoction that my husband cooked up. If you're really curious about it, just let me know and I'll try to describe his process/ingredients.

Orange Beef


Ingredients
1 lb Flank Steak, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices across the grain (It was really expensive here, so I looked for a lean round steak)
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/2 tsp Five Spice Powder (If you don't have this, you can substitute 1/8 tsp of each - ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, and anise seeds)
6 tsp low sodium soy sauce
1 Orange
3 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp canola oil
3 scallions, thinly sliced

Method
Combine the steak, ginger, five spice powder, and 3 tsp soy sauce in a medium bowl. Marinate at room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients.

Using a zester, grate the zest of the orange into a small bowl. Peel the orange and squeeze the juice from 1/2 of it into a separate bowl. Mix that juice with the cornstarch, and the remaining 3 tsp of soy sauce.

Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the steak and cook, undisturbed for 1 minute. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the meat just loses its pinkness. Add the scallions and reserved orange zest and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the sauce mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about two minutes. Serve and enjoy!

This smelled so citrusy and delicious!

Best take out I've had in awhile!


Nutritional info per serving (Whole recipe should serve 4)
Calories 229
Total Fat - 10g
Sodium - 218 mg
Sugars - 4g

Also, I got stung by a bee today. In my face. That was not fun! So, I consoled myself with a delicious recipe for dinner. It was Pasta with Turkey Sausage and Mozzerella. It was delicious and comforting. I'll try to get that up in my next post :D