Tuesday, September 14, 2010

More Delicious Soup (Because it's fall and fall is soup time)

After many years of living in CO, I used to take seasons for granted. Now that I live in my tiny border town where it is still over 100 degrees in September, I have come to miss the change of season. My favorite season change is summer to fall. I love everything about fall. I love the smells, the tastes, and colors.
So, in honor of fall (even if it was 95 degrees out when I made this) I am posting a delicious fall soup recipe.

Minestra of Squash and Rice with Sage



Ingredients:
2 tsp Olive Oil
1 medium size onion, finely chopped
4 ribs celery, trimmed and finely chopped
4 carrots, finely chopped
1 lb of seasonal squash (I used butter nut squash) - peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch dice
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I used chicken)
1 cup Arborio or other short grained white rice
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 large sage leaf, finely chopped or 2 tsp dried sage

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray aluminum foil with non stick cooking spray
Cut squash in half and remove seeds.
Place inside facing down on the baking sheet and bake for 40 min or until you can poke a fork through the outside with ease. Remove after baking and let cool. After the squash is cool, peel skin off and cut dice according to ingredient directions.

Heat oil in a heavy soup pan over medium high heat.
Add onion, carrot, celery, and squash and cook, stirring often until they begin to soften (2-3 minutes).
Add broth and bring to a boil.
Stir in rice and cook, stirring frequently to keep it from sticking to the pan, until the rice is tender (about 20 minutes).
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in parsley and sage.
Serve immediately!!

Makes 6 servings

Nutritional info per serving:
129 calories
2.3 grams of fat




***One of my favorite parts of soup is having leftovers. I label a gallon size plastic bag, pour in cooled extra soup and freeze. To make the soup fit better in my freezer, I put the bags flat on their sides on a small baking sheet and freeze on the baking sheet. This freezes them flat so they go in the side of the freezer like files!
Yum! I can now eat more than soup!

My mouth healed up great. Look at my wisdom teeth, they are huge!