Sunday, May 16, 2010

When the library starts to run out of books...

So, I love reading. In fact, I love reading more than any other leisure activity. I will read almost anything. A good kid's novel, thrillers, chick lit, classics, British novels, random novels, anything. Since we've been in our tiny town at this tiny base, I have become a regular visitor at the base library. Unfortunately, I have officially, as of the end of last week, been through most titles in the new fiction section and the ones I haven't read, I haven't wanted to. So, I am starting to reread ones I like the most and start to go through the regular fiction section. Unlike most libraries, this one's regular fiction sections is filled with scary novel series. A lot of the covers clue you in that they were acquired sometime in the 1960's or 70's. Scarily enough, there was an entire shelf filled with Danielle Steele novels.

Anyway, I want to let everyone know about an amazing series of books. They were written in the 1960's and they are geared toward young adults. I read them back in the day and am currently rereading them. The series is titled, "The Dark is Rising." The first books is "Over Sea, Under Stone." The series is written by Susan Cooper. They are your typical good vs. evil story. The writing is fantastic, the characters are great, and I would throw a guess out there that J.K. Rowling of the Harry Potter novels probably read these at one point. If you read the whole series, you'll see a lot of similarities.

The other two books I just reread are Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and Peony In Love, both written by Lisa See. Lisa See is a very gifted writer. These books provide great insight into Chinese life in the 19th and 20th centuries. Both stories and all the characters capture my attention and feed my imagination every time I read these.

Anyway, I'm off to let my UPT husband know he has to get ready for bed in order to get his full eight hours of sleep.