Monday, July 16, 2012

Creatures of Light: Nature's Bioluminescence - My Fav Exhibition I saw in NYC

With my summer program class I was able to be in NYC for four days and three nights. I visited roughly three museums a day, some with tours or talks from museum employees. Here's the places I can remember visiting: The Met, The Studio Museum of Harlem, The Jewish Museum, MoMA, Studio/home visit of Stephen Antonakos, The Children's Museum of Manhattan, the American Museum of Natural History. Don't worry if the list overwhelms you - it overwhelmed me living it out! ha!

Out of all the wonderful art I saw and the wonderful people I met, I had the best time on my own at the American Museum of Natural History. One of the Graduate assistant's in my program linked me up with a friend of hers' who works at the AMNH as an educator! So cool! I loved hearing about her job, the creative problem solving she occasionally does, and how much joy she finds in working with kids! Since I'd love to be a museum educator someday, talking to this wonderful woman was pure joy! On top of talking such a great person, I had a great time exploring this wonderful and huge museum. It was a blazing day in NYC, so the museum was packed with families. Up on the 2nd or 3rd floor, I found a wonderful respite from the crowds:

Creatures of Light: Nature's Bioluminescence

This show is fantastic!!!! I don't have any pics to share b/c photography is not allowed, but here's a quick pic I snagged from a NYTimes article to give a quick glance at this awesome exhibit.


This exhibit is really low lit, with calming background music, has tons of info, and was a joy to feel immersed in! Fun fact: Fireflies are actually a variety of beetle! Who knew?

Go here and here for some great reviews and further pics of this fantastic exhibit!

It runs till Jan 6th, 2013 - so if you're NYC during those dates, you should take a look!