Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Between the Rains

Last night I was at the weekly video session for my the Bible study I've been doing. After a rough week, I felt like Beth Moore was speaking right to me. The session centered on James 5:7.

"Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for autumn and spring rains."

Cultural and historical studies tell us that the people in Israel depended on the seasonal rains that came. Without the rain, crops didn't grow and people didn't eat. With that in mind, Beth Moore asks us to think about the times in our lives when we're between the rains.

According to Douglas Moo, a Biblical commentator, "Every reference to early and later rains in the Old Testament occurs in a context affirming the faithfulness of the Lord."

So, James is reminding us that we just have to be patient and wait on the Lord to bring the next rain in our life. James is reminding us that our God is reliable and constant, we just have to be patient.

Portales during a DRY lightning storm


I don't think I'd be going out on a limb to say that I've been in between rains during this season of my life. So, in the middle of crazy days I was so thankful for a reminder that God is faithful and that even though this season of life is stressful and hard that the rains will come again.



"As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; 
he will come to us like the winter rains, 
like the spring rains that water the Earth."
Hosea 6:3