Saturday, January 28, 2012

Will You Be a Valentine?

Well, it's not even February yet and already the Valentine's Day stuff is in the store and one of my favorite shopping websites, Plum District, is already putting up awesome Valentine's deals (like this one, which you should really check out if you like wine).

I think the question that comes up with Valentine's Day the most often is if it's something you do. To be honest I have stood on both sides of the fence for this one.



During most of high school and college, I was not a big fan of Valentine's Day. I think the major reason was not usually having a valentine and feeling a little left out. I was also not a big fan of Valentine's Day because I really believe that you should tell the people you love that you love them all the time and that you shouldn't need a holiday (created by a card company) to remind you to do loving things for the people in your life. Plus, the whole Valentine's Day thing just seems a little ridiculous. Stuffed animals holding hearts and cheap boxes of chocolates just don't say, "I love you" to me. I also think the commercialization developed for Valentine's Day sets up unrealistic expectations. Is it really good practice to expect someone to drop a ton of money on expensive jewelry, a surprise dinner, or other huge gifts? Then, the other person is expected to drop the same amount or more of money. Then you both have huge gifts and empty budgets.

Now that I'm married Valentine's Day does seem more fun. I have a built in Valentine. Though I will say we still don't drop tons of money on Valentine's and we don't always buy presents. Mostly, Valentine's Day is just anther day to celebrate our love. That is so cheesey, but when you love someone a lot, any and every excuse to celebrate it is a good thing! On that note, the hubby and I do make a point to express our love every day and do fun, spontaneous, and romantic things on a regular basis.

So, I guess my end thought on Valentine's Day is that it's a great time to express your love for the people in your life. Those people can be the people you love romantically - like a spouse/partner/fiance/boyfriend/girlfriend or the people that you love platonically - like parents, children, siblings, and friends. The caveat on that thought is you should keep expressing that love all the time! Also, if you are in a not serious or not yet serious relationship, don't put a ton of pressure on the other person involved in your Valentine's Day. Also, don't put lots of pressure your significant other, just enjoy the day and move on successfully to the next day.



What do you think about Valentine's Day????