Sunday, February 6, 2011

Healthy Snacks!

So lately, I have been reading so many health books for work that it is impossible to not change some of my worse eating habits. After you read over and over about how bad the processed food is and how much more you can eat of non processed foods and get similar calorie intake, you have to be a convert!
So, I thought I'd share my three (current) favorite healthy snacks:

1. Bananas with ALMOND butter!!! SO delicious. The key to getting good almond butter is to make sure you choose a band who's only ingredients are almonds and salt. You don't want any preservatives or added sugar.

Soo good!!!
2. Kale chips! This sounds totally weird, but they are delicious. Select some beautiful, curly kale. Rip into bite size pieces. Toss in bowl with a mix olive oil and grape seed oil, salt, pepper, garlic salt, and chili powder (or any spices or your choice). Spread on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake at 300 for 20 ish minutes. The kale will look weird and shrivelly and until you poke at it, it looks kind of wet. Despite their disgusting appearance they are wonderful!!!!

3. Hot black tea with AGAVE nectar! It's been so cold down here that hot beverages have sounded good non stop. In order to help keep myself hydrated during the day and not up too late, I stop with coffee by mid morning. So, hot black tea is perfect to give a little caffeine and a lot of comfort. The only question was finding the perfect sweetener. This super healthy and super sustainable sweetener is wonderful. If you haven't tried some, you should!
Perfect sweetener!
On another note between the cold and sore heels, I abandoned my running for the week. The last couple weeks my heels have been so sore that wearing any shoes but shoes with lots of padding have killed my feet. I couldn't wear flats, boots, or just socks around the house. I did a little research and I think that I need some new running shoes. Mine are really old and are probably worn out in the padding. So, my goal is to go looking for some tomorrow in hopes I can run normally to get ready for next weekend's 5k!