Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cold and lonely weather down south!

I can't believe it's already been so long since my last post! I know because today is the next Siesta verse posting day. If you're interested in Beth Moore's Bible Memory verse challenge, you can check it out here. My verse for today is Ephesians 3:20-21
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
I love this verse because it always reminds me that when we are seeking God's will for our lives, he WILL deliver more than we can ask for or imagine. So amazing, so reassuring, and a little scary!

This last week, I was a little lonely as hubs went off to Naval Air Station Pensacola for Water Survival Training. He was really looking forward to it, but ended up not enjoying it as much as he had hoped. It wasn't because it was too difficult, but because the South had a terrible cold stretch last week. One of the days he was out on the ocean, the air temperature was on 35 degrees! That is chilly! I was very happy to drive up to San Antonio on Friday to pick WM up at the airport. Hopefully he'll have a start date for his 3rd phase of training sometime next week!

I wanted to welcome hubs home with an exciting and delicious meal. Since it was still pretty chilly in Corpus Christi (A note to all my CO friends and family. I know that my upper 30's and low 40's weather  is not cold in comparison to your cold. Unfortunately for me, my body has acclimated to warm weather after almost two years in Texas. With 8 months of the year in my border town in the 100's, you start to get chilly pretty easy...) I opted for a luxurious soup. I made Pumpkin, Cheddar, and Chipotle Soup. It was delicious! The recipe is from the Rachael Ray Website and can be found here. I used canned pumpkin for my soup since our local grocery stores are no longer carrying fresh pumpkins. It was perfect soup to help warm WM up!
Warm Soup on a Cold Day

For dessert, I made a decadent Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake. That recipe can be found here.
Who says no to this kind of chocolatey goodness?
My first Run for the Bling of It  run is this coming Saturday. It's a pretty informal 5k put on by the Corpus Christi Roadrunners. I'm pretty excited to be kicking this 12 month challenge off!

My running buddy Alli is rocking out running (like usual) and I am hanging on. Right now it looks like we're both on the way to getting our January presents (exciting!)!

One of the best new parts of Corpus Christi we've discovered is the farmer's market. It's every Saturday at 9 am in the morning. It's definitely small, but there is a ton of great produce. Hubs and I have decided to choose a random veggie every time we go and figure out how to use it when we get home. Today  we bought:
Kale and Cilantro
The cilantro is easy to use. It actually went into a soup tonight. The kale is its own challenge. We found a recipe for kale chips and a kale in pasta recipe. We're giving both a try this week. It's almost sad to eat such a pretty veggie.

Look at those pretty ruffles!
This is post is going on forever, so I think I'll wrap it up here!